After a long series of discussion and debate:
Me: Seeking happiness is a form of suffering as we suffer in the process.
Baby T: But by not seeking it we are also suffering.
Me: It depends on how you see it.
Baby T: If you don't seek for happiness, then life is not interesting. I think an uninteresting life is suffering.
Me: It is hard for me to explain to you because you only think of the extremes: happy, suffering. The area between the 2 extremes is not conceivable by you.
Baby T: How can there be a middle area?
Me: You only think of a world with 2 answers. Yes or no. Neither nor doesn't exist in your definition.
Baby T: Well, isn't it? If we're not happy, doesn't it means we're sad?
Me: There is a thing called: peacefulness.
Baby T: Isn't that the same as happiness? How can you be peaceful when you're not happy?
Me: You can't understand it because you've never experienced it.
.......
This discussion started after he was relating to me the talk he heard the night before. Apparently there are freebies for grab, so why wouldn't anyone go? His argument was it is very convincing, and it totally changed his perception.
Actually, there is a way to experience that peacefulness. The reason I didn't tell you that night was because of your close mindedness. You just shot off everything I said, no matter what hard evidence I presented in front of you. I even offered you the opportunity to see for yourself a living Arahant, yet you gave all sorts of excuse that I'm just bullshitting.
I do not blame you for arguing with me. 2 years ago, I was exactly like you. Even the bhikkus were dumbfounded by my questions, and they started to answer me in very illogical manner. However, the difference between you and me was I accept something if it is true. I seek for the answer myself, and surprisingly, all the answers to my questions lie in the book just beside my bed. That's when my life starts to change.
You're the second person whom I've seriously discussed about this topic. I do not know why I did so. Probably I thought that you could comprehend what I said and was interested about it, since you were the one who started the discussion. However, I was wrong. You just argued for the sake of arguing. I would be happy if you could prove that what I'm thinking is wrong.
So, lesson from this: Do not be involved in this discussion as it will lead to no where. I wasted valuable time where I could have spent for my work. This statement is written in the very thing I read, and now I understand why. Actually, I'm a hypocrite myself so it is better if I keep my lips sealed.
What to do tonight: pull Baby T to do the group work.
With metta,
Your friend
No comments:
Post a Comment